While appearing on the Dan Patrick Show, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said that NSA spying is part of “the world we’re living in” and claimed that young Americans are bothered by NSA spying because their memories of the 9/11 attacks have faded.
After discussion of sports, the conversation shifted to Donald Sterling and the subject of his phone conversations being recorded, and McCain explained that:
“It’s the world we’re living in. You don’t like it, but everything I say I expect to be recorded,” McCain told Patrick. He went on to defend its place in the lives of American citizens:
“It’s just the way we live. It is something you’ve got to accept. I don’t particularly like it, but it is what it is.”
McCain dismissed a poll that showed 53% of Americans believe that their phone calls are being recorded. When asked by Patrick if they are, McCain laughed, “no, no.”
“Young people aren’t particularly happy. We’ve forgotten a little bit about 9/11, and how if we’d intercepted the right communications we might have prevented 9/11,” McCain continued.
He admitted to Patrick that “there have been abuses” and “we’ve got to be more transparent”. However, McCain concluded that “we’re all grown people, and we have to realize we live in the 21st century. I’ve said things in the past that I wish I hadn’t said and… it just is what it is.”
This brief discussion of the NSA with Patrick illustrates McCain’s nonchalant approval of massive surveillance. While McCain has pushed for an overhaul of NSA oversight, he remains convinced that the spying should continue as part of day-to-day life and may someday actually intercept a terrorist plot.
Latest posts by Annabelle Bamforth (see all)
- Angela Brown: Case Of Mother Who Treated Son With Cannabis Oil Reaches End - Apr 17, 2015
- Chris Christie Promises To “Crack Down” On Legalized Marijuana If Elected President - Apr 16, 2015
- CBS Denver Report: TSA Screeners Exploited Scanners To Grope “Attractive” Male Passengers - Apr 14, 2015
- Do Celebrity Food Stamp Challenges Accurately Document Poverty In America? - Apr 13, 2015
- TX Rep. Jason Villalba Scraps Bill That Would Limit Filming Of Police - Apr 13, 2015
Consider making a monthly donation to the Truth In Media Project.
"Like" Ben Swann on Facebook