As states continue to nullify federal laws against marijuana and hemp, the federal government has been faced with an important question. It’s been more than 75 years, and marijuana and hemp still remain illegal. Never mind the total lack of reasoning behind the federal government’s ban. Is it time to end the law?
Less than 24 hours ago, it all came crashing down. According to the Associated Press, the justice department said that states can allow citizens to use the drug, license people to grow it and allow them to purchase it in stores. As long as the drug is kept away from the black market, children and federal property– It’s a go!
According to Mike Maharrey, national communications director for the Tenth Amendment Center:
“The genie is out of the bottle and she won’t ever go back in. The feds have lost and they know it. No matter how Holder and the DEA couch their words in an attempt to maintain an illusion of control, state actions continue to effectively nullify these unconstitutional marijuana laws.“
When asked if the federal government just essentially legalized marijuana Maharrey responded:
“The announcement makes it clear the feds have no will to fight the states on weed. They can call it an “illegal drug” all they want, but if they can’t, or won’t, stop people from using marijuana, their “law” means nothing.”
The recent surge in nullification has sent states fighting against the federal government on pot use. It would seem that the federal government just gave up. A major victory for the states- no doubt.
Latest posts by Michael Lotfi (see all)
- Exclusive: Fake “Honest” Candidate Raises Over $70K Running Against Mitch McConnell and Allison Grimes - Jul 24, 2014
- LOTFI: Sen. Lamar Alexander must apologize for lying about opposing federal education - Jul 24, 2014
- LOTFI: How Rand Paul won the GOP’s war on foreign policy - Jul 7, 2014
- LOTFI: Fox News one of Hillary Clinton’s biggest donors for better part of two decades - Jul 3, 2014
- Breaking: Tea Party leader conspiring to photograph Senator Chochran’s wife in scandal found dead - Jun 27, 2014